Critical factors in selecting an LED driverUpowertek
There are a number of factors that must be considered when selecting an LED driver:
- Does the application demand a constant current or constant voltage (if the LEDs are to be driven directly, a constant current is required, if a constant voltage driver is to be used, additional circuitry will be needed).
- If a constant current driver is to be used, the operating current must be decided upon, and the voltage requirement calculated (this information can be calculated from the information given in the LEDs datasheet). If a constant voltage driver is to be used, the operating voltage must be decided upon, and the current requirement calculated. This information can then be used to select the power rating of the suitable driver.
- The input voltage must also be determined. The vast majority of Bringlite power supplies are designed to be operated with a wide input voltage range of 90-305 Vac.
- The IP (ingress protection) rating required by the application must be determined, as well as the requirement for lightning protection (needed in outdoor applications).
- Compliance to safety and electromagnetic compatibility standards for the entire fixture should be evaluated.
- Minimum requirements for other driver specifications should be defined, such as efficiency, power factor over load (etc).